Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Left Ear hears better than my Right. Why?

Yesterday, I just had wax removed from my ears (at the doctor's), so that shouldn't be the problem here (hopefully).

My problem is that my left ear seems to hear things better than my right. I am almost sure it is not hearing loss, because I am only 16, and I never listen to very loud music or go around loud sounds. When I cover up my left ear and listen, my right ear doesn't seem to pick up the intensities of the sounds that my left ear does. It is not majorly different, but the difference is still there.

Do you have any ideas of what this could be?
Answer:
Hi, I'm an Audiologist

Rarely are our ears (or anything else that we have two of) perfectly symmetrical. Clinically, we consider a difference of 10 deciBels to be symmetrical, but if your hearing is normal, a 10dB difference is noticeable.

While it is generally true that most people have a dominant ear, the dominance is in regards to processing speech and language and is nearly always the Right ear (because Speech and Language are processed in the Left Hemisphere of the brain).

In your case, it's also possible that the doctor wasn't able to remove ALL the wax, especially if some of it is against the eardrum, which could also muffle the sound a little.

If you don't feel as though this difference is having any impact on your day to day life, then don't sweat it. But if it is noticeable during regular activities and not just when self-testing it, then it warrants further investigation. This is especially true if you also have any ringing (tinnitus) or spinning dizziness (vertigo).
Just like you have a dominant hand and a dominant eye, you have a dominant ear. You are probably left handed aren't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Is there anything Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | Web Hosting

vc .net