Sunday, October 25, 2009

Is this a migraine?

My 10 year old daughter has a headache everytime we start school from a weekend or a break.

Her headaches have a pattern too-weird right?


Example:

It was Sunday night and she wakes up at 6:15 a.m. to get ready for school on Monday.
Every time we have to start school from a weekend or a break,she ALWAYS has a headache after school.

We just had a President's Day break and school started on Wednesday. After school on Wednesday,she had a huge headache and was crying alot. We gave her Thera Flu,hot soup,and hot coffee but nothing seems to work! What should we do?

Is this a migraine? Can 10 year olds have migraines?

This has been going on since about.......3rd grade and now she is in the 5th grade
Answer:
I had my first at about 14. The pain of migraine is on one side of the head. Your child's headaches seem to be 'triggered' by something, and this is often true of migraines. Also, my migraines have always been accompanied by uncontrollable nausea, and I would not have been able to eat soup.

Stress in itself does not trigger migraines, but it may lower resistance to other triggers.

Something in her environment can be irritating her.
Does she consume any caffeine?
Is she exposed to second hand smoke at home?
Or is she smoking?
Is she staring at a TV or computer?
Could she be carsick?
Is she reading in dim light?


My father smoked around me when I was young, and I now believe that it often made me sick, but at the time, nobody considered it.

And 10 year olds do smoke, sadly. I'm just trying to be objective.

The last thing I can suggest is her eyes. A boy I grew up with had headaches because of asitgmatism, and he needed glasses.


Sick kids are part of life, and I truly hope that this passes quickly. Maybe it is time to see a doctor. Good Luck.
I think it may be caused by stress. Something or someone might be bothering her there. Have a talk with her about that, and give her teacher a call to see what's going on. It really sounds like stress but if you can't find an answer, take her to the doctors'.
it's probably a stress headache ! Check to see if she is having problems understanding her work.
Take to her to a doctor just to be sure.It's possible that they are migranes,but doubtful !
Yes, children can have migraines. My 7 year old nephew has them and is on medication for it. You can get them tested by a doctor. There are certain symptoms and pains that indicate a migraine headache. What does she experience. I'm with the others, though, it sounds more like a stress headache.
Miagraine headaches know no age. It sounds as if there are some things going on in the school she doesn't tell you about. A true miagraine has symptoms such as:
light sensitive
sound sensitve
and usually develp in the same area each time: from the back of the head or across the forhead from temple to temple.

I would try to talk to her about what is going on and take her to the doctor as well. She shouldn't have to suffer and I know when she hurts, you hurt too.

Best of Luck!
it is possible for ten year olds to have migrane. you should however note that some children who have had unplesant experiances in school might want to skip it. try and talk to your daughter and see if she is not going through a tough time at school or at home. migrane itself can also be stress induced. she might need to talk to a professional child expert to see if everything is well.
http://www.neurologyreviews.com/feb04/nr...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Is there anything Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | Web Hosting

vc .net